Track hits the ground running

Back to Article
Back to Article

Track hits the ground running

PEYTON NEWMAN, EXECUTIVE EDITOR

With nearly 30 students, the outdoor track teams look forward to a successful season powered by new talent and returning athletes.

The team kicked off the season heading out to the track for the first time last week to begin training. To prepare for upcoming meets, the team focused on conditioning and training during the first week of practice before moving into individual events.

“We’ve had one week of practice so far. We’ve been working really hard both new students and returners,” Erica Hurley, senior said. “Everyone’s really sore and giving it their all right off the bat.”

With several returning athletes including seniors Will Smigel and Hurley, who broke the school’s triple jump record, the team hopes to replicate last year’s success at the Class C Championships by utilizing talent from all grades. At the 2018 Class C meet, the boys placed 3rd and the girls placed 6th.

To help new athletes bond with upperclassman, Smigel said the team will meet outside of practice for team breakfasts and other activities where the athletes can get to know those they may not typically compete with in practice.

“Joining the track team as a sophomore was an incredibly rewarding experience. I made a ton of new friends and learned a lot about myself as a student, athlete, and person,” Will Smigel. “I want the underclassmen to be able to gain this kind of perspective.”

Many athletes will look to compete in more events than they have in past seasons. With Hurley moving into the pole vault and Abigail LeCam, senior, attempting the high jump.

Smigel said the indoor track team struggled to come together, but with a change in the outdoor team’s dynamic, he believes the spring season will be a success.

“Last season [indoor] we had a pretty disrespectful team, and it kind of made the entire time horrible despite the captain’s and coaches’ best efforts to make it enjoyable,” Smigel said. “I want this season to be different, and from what I’ve seen so far, I think it will be a lot of fun.”

The team will continue their journey to the Divisional and Class C Championships with a meet at  home, Tues, April 23.