Girls Lacrosse Loses First Playoff Game

DANIELLE HART, REPORTER

On Thursday May 23, the girls lacrosse team lost in an upset playoff game again Chariho with a score of 15-10.

The girls lacrosse team came into the playoffs as the #2 seed with a 9-3 regular season record. During the game Anna Lubic, junior, fouled out because of two yellow cards.

“Anna, who’s like our best player got like two fouls in the beginning of the game so she was out for the rest of the game,” Amelie Mushen, sophomore, said.

Lubic had 89 total goals this season and is the top scorer for most of the regular season games. The team struggled to score with her out of the game. At the half the score was 8-6 but in the end Chariho outscored the Mariners in the second half to win the game.

The Chargers were aggressive throughout the game, aiming to beat the Mariners knocking them out of the playoffs. Many of the Chario players goated Lubic into two penalties forcing her to leave the game.

“We lost twice and won like the rest of the games, I think we were like 8-2,” Taylor Hall, sophomore, said.

Sarah Sweet, senior, added 6 goals to the score and Grace McGrady, senior, scored 4 goals. During the second half the Chargers scored 7 goals to put them ahead for good.

Shannon O’Connell, senior, was solid in the net. O’Connell made 9 saves on the day out dueling the Chariho goalie, Megan Bradley, who made 6 saves.

“There was weather, and like some girls getting really aggressive and some hail,” Hall, said.

Rylie Mitchell, sophomore, also scored 2 goals and helped with 2 assists. The girls lacrosse team graduated 9 seniors this year and are looking at incoming freshmen and sophomores to fill spots on varsity.